Friday, September 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grandpa

Grandpa's birthday was on Wednesday (September 25th) and we decided that dinner at Outback Steakhouse would be the perfect way to celebrate. This is the second birthday that we have spent with Ed (since moving out of Omaha) and it always feels pretty special. This year was even more meaningful because Cael was a part of the festivities. Obviously he doesn't realize exactly what we were celebrating, but as we all know things become more meaningful when there are children present to help us appreciate the simpler things in life.
It was a great meal and a wonderful celebration, but, I think it is safe to say that we need to be more selective about going out to dinner with Cael as he has gotten to the stage where sitting in a high chair for 1.5 hours is not his idea of a good time.... and who can blame him? We do our best to keep him entertained, but inevitably he reaches for a steak knife (or something else that is off limits) and we are forced to remove it from his grasp. Well, Cael has no problem letting us know when he is unhappy and when we take away something he wants he throws a bit of a temper tantrum (keeping in mind that even at his worst, Cael is still a wonderful baby).
It would seem that we have officially moved from parents of an infant to parents of a toddler and we are both thrilled and nervous at that prospect. Regardless of the lesson that Mommy and Daddy learned at Outback, it was still a very Happy Birthday for Grandpa.

1 comments:

Kristin said...

When I first saw the title and started reading this post I thought there wouldn't be anything to really comment about. However, I was wrong. I love that you are calling Cael a toddler. We called Noah a toddler way before anyone else did. Some of my friends still call their kids who are Noah's age babies. I do not feel like Noah is a baby at all. I haven't for a long time. How fun that you are moving to the next stage.