Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update - 'tales of teething'

I took Cael into the doctor this afternoon and she said his ears looked great (woohoo) and that he was teething like a machine, but what was most definitely causing his extreme discomfort was a throat that was extremely red and full of pus. It is viral, of course, so nothing we can do about it except wait. Poor baby!!! She did test him for strep throat and it came back negative. I almost wish he would have had strep throat b/c it is something they can treat with antibiotics and antibiotics that start working immediately as opposed to amoxicillan, which can take up to three days. I also happened to see another little girl in the waiting room that is in Cael's daycare class so I am sure this is something that once again, he caught at daycare. We were instructed that he was contagious for up to 24 hours after he exhibited his last fever, which means more time off for one of us (or both). If he has a fever over 100.5 on Monday we are supposed to bring him in as these types of infections are only supposed to last for 5 days. They are going to keep testing for strep throat and will call if the culture comes back positive. I just keep hoping this means he will have one heck of an immune system once he starts going to school full time!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh no! I hope he feels better soon!

Kristin said...

Seriously, I prefer bacterial infections too... simply because they are treatable... I hate waiting things out!