I have read different posts on various blogs that all seem to have a common theme... that of "temporary custody" and after reading, it makes perfect sense to me. You think as a parent, that your kids are yours, when in fact, they have been placed, temporarily in your custody to care for, teach, heal, guide and to call "yours" until they become their own. Ryan and I are blessed to be given this chance to shape Cael into the man that we hope he will become and we do so with fear and hope in our hearts. Fear that we will make a mistake (or many) along the way, fear that we will somehow let him down and fear that we will fail. Yet at the same time, hope that he will surpass our greatest expectations, hope that he will be smarter, happier and more successful than the two of us and hope that in the end "doing our best" was good enough. I have to admit, I have a hard time imagining anything other than this little boy (baby) who depends and relies on us for his very being, but I know that he will grow and grow much faster than either of us are ready for. Sometimes it seems like life will never be the same and then I am reminded that you don't have kids so that life can continue as it has, you have kids to create something better than yourself. It fills my heart to know that Cael is ours, albeit temporarily, and that we were given this opportunity to care for and guide him through life's ups and downs, to give him the tools to face adversity and to teach him humility. While at the same time teaching him about mud and forts and laughter and dancing in the rain!!!! I can't wait to explore and create. I can't wait to hear his thoughts and about his day and to be reminded how truly innocent he is. I can't wait for what the future holds and at the same time, mourning what has already passed.... in the blink of an eye. It is true, this is love and a love in its purest form. A love that knows no bounds, a love created from love by love for love. My cup is full, my cup runneth over.
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I'm touched... that is beautiful and so true. All I can think to say is Amen!
Post a Comment