Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just a fluke?

Last night was no different than any other night. It was my turn to feed Cael so Ryan took him upstairs to get him for bed, which as most of you remember involves changing his diaper, changing him into his pajamas and singing or reading to him. Last night I opened the door to find Cael asleep in Ryan's arms as Ryan was singing to him. Ryan motioned whether or not he thought we should try just putting him in the crib to see what happened and I indicated it was worth a shot. I quietly left the room and stood outside the door waiting for what I was sure was going to be the inevitable screaming/crying once Cael realized he had been placed in his crib. To my surprise (more like shock) Cael didn't make a peep AND he slept all night. I have been overanalyzing weaning him off this last bottle since he celebrated his first birthday and once again, I was surprised by his flexibility and ease with which he transitions from one milestone to the next (i.e. I thought weaning him off of the bottle during the day was going to be really hard and it ended up being easy, same with swaddling - he is pretty adaptable to change, making it very easy on Mommy and Daddy). So, the question becomes, was it just a fluke occurrence or is it possible that weaning him off of his bedtime bottle is going to be a lot easier than I had originally thought? I guess we will see what tonight brings. *Fingers crossed*


UPDATE: It was a fluke and to honest, I am not surprised. We haven't really tried to remove the bed time bottle, but I am hoping the fact that he fell asleep without it the other night means it will be easier than we think. Thanks for the comments. The support is appreciated! Now, I understand why Babywise stresses not using the bottle as a sleep aid although, to be honest, I am not sure I would change anything. Of course, I might change my mind depending on how tough it is to get rid of :)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Fingers crossed! (keep us posted)

Edwards trio said...

Good luck!