Thursday, August 28, 2008

Plane Perfection!

Cael went on his second plane ride last night to Park City, UT to visit Kim and Bapa. He was not in the greatest mood when I picked him up from daycare given he had only taken one half hour nap (he usually takes two - one hour naps during the day). It was a late flight so I was concerned how it would all work out as more often than not overly tired babies do not usually make the best travelers. We got to the airport and Ryan put him in the Baby Bjorn so he would have his hands free to help with luggage, check in and security. Once we put him in the baby carrier he was a whole new person. Cael was ready for his next great adventure!
Ryan and I try to time his bottles with takeoff (and landing if we are lucky) to help with any pressure in his ears. We got onto the plane and Ryan gave Cael his bottle after we had pulled away from the gate. After about 10 minutes we started to worry that this was not going to be as easy as we had originally thought (Cael did great on his very first plane ride at 4 months - also to Park City). Finally the captain came over the loud speaker to inform us that there was a mechanical issue and they were going to have to pull the plane back into the gate. I started to panic a little at this point.
The original flight was supposed to depart Denver at 9:15 pm and arrive in Salt Lake at 10:40 pm followed by a 45 minutes drive to my dad's house in Park City, which would put us in at midnight with baggage, etc. Sure enough, the captain told us the problem had not been resolved and that we were going to have to get off the plane and board a different aircraft. At this point, Cael had taken his bottle and was sleeping comfortably in Daddy's arms.
Every nerve ending was screaming at this point. I tend to stress out big time while traveling and it is even worse now that we have a baby. Ryan carried a still sleeping Cael off of the plane, into the terminal and onto the second plane and Cael didn't wake up once. He slept through the plane change, takeoff, landing, baggage claim and finally woke up once we put him into his car seat. On the drive up to my dad's house he was very much a happy, alert baby boy! We have ourselves a seasoned and practiced little traveler, which makes it much easier on mom and dad.

3 comments:

Kyli said...

LOL This is great. I'm impressed with my little nephew. What a night, eh? I can't believe you actually had to de-board the plane. You must have been a wreck...It's stressful enough flying with a baby no matter what time of day, let alone that late! I love the pic of him sleeping on the pillow--too cute!

Terri said...

Hey Jor! i got Mom squared away on the blogger. YAY :-)

Kristin said...

I'm so glad he did well traveling. I hope it went as well on the way home. Did you get my message? Sorry I was such a bum when you came to visit. I'm not enjoying my last couple weeks pregnant... I know, shocker! ;)

Anyway, it was good to see you... you're gorgeous and I'm self-conscious. LOL. Cael is a doll. I'm so glad I got to see him!