Our baby boy is literally discovering new things with every passing day (more like every passing hour) and right now, for whatever reason Cael really likes the wood floors (although he doesn't like them when he falls face forward). So in the evening we will put him on the wood floor (usually with a pen to play with - not sure what that is all about, but it makes him happy) while we cook dinner, put away dishes, etc. Tonight I happened to place him on the floor next to some drawers and it wasn't too long before he was opening and closing the drawer like a pro!!! He would open it, study it for a few seconds and then carefully close it. Well pretty soon he had the hang of it and was opening and closing with careless abandon. It was so sweet watching him. At first so tentative and then more bold with his actions.
I started snapping pictures right away and of course, realized too late that as he got more and more adventurous, the more likely he was to close his fingers in the drawer and sure enough he did. I didn't get any pictures of the aftermath as I was too busy trying to comfort a VERY upset baby.
It took him a few seconds to realize that what he had done really hurt and then he unleashed the tears (and the screaming). Poor baby. His little fingers were so red and I felt horrible......HORRIBLE. It is the toughest thing in the world not being able to explain to him that yes, it hurts, but it will stop hurting soon and that I am so very sorry. Needless to say he has recovered and although mommy and daddy realize this won't be the last time that something like this happens we do realize that we need to be more careful.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Discovering drawers
Posted by Jori at 8/14/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Ah! Those are the days... when you enjoy seeing them do things like open and close drawers. Then come the days when you are constantly telling him to stop and not touch. :) Continue to enjoy these moments; I hope that I have them written down somewhere like you certainly do.
Post a Comment