Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bapa and Kim flew into town for Thanksgiving and we spent a wonderful day preparing delicious food and taking turns keeping track of our little Tazmanian Devil. In preparation Ryan had picked up a 20 lbs turkey not knowing exactly what size would work for a group of four. When we saw the size of the turkey we were a bit worried that it wasn't going to be thawed in time to start cooking on Thursday morning. I went home over lunch on Tuesday to put it in the refrigerator and we put it in cool water Tuesday night until it was time to go to bed (Ryan stayed up until midnight just to change the water every 30-60 minutes). I was worried our kitchen would be lacking any time I was asked if we had something (roasting pan, big pot, mixing bowls, spices, spoons - you name it), but was pleasantly surprised to find that we had everything necessary to cook a fantastic turkey dinner (guess registering for the wedding paid off - even if it is almost 5 years later). Cael LOVED the mashed potatoes and stuffing (just like his Daddy) and Bapa had fun feeding it to him. Everyone contributed to making it a great celebration. We are all very blessed and sometimes it takes a special day like Thanksgiving to remind us to slow down and realize what we truly have to be thankful for.

3 comments:

Erin Maggie said...

Oh it looks great! I'm so glad that your Thanksgiving turned out so well! Cael is starting off on a good foot, already enjoying the cornerstones of a great Thanksgiving meal! xo

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! Looks like you had all the fixings possible. I'm glad you were able to spend some time with the family. Cael looks like he had a great time too:) Miss you!!

Kristin said...

I'm so glad your dad and Kim flew in to enjoy Thanksgiving with you. Sometimes I think I'd like to have it here, but then I think of all the work. However, a smaller Thanksgiving could be nice. I'm glad you got to be with family.

Love you!