On Monday I took Cael into the doctor's office because he had a nasty cough and was pulling at his ears so I wanted to make sure he didn't have an ear infection. After looking at his ears and assuring me they were clear they listened to his lungs. They heard some crackling and popping and after looking at his red throat determined he had a viral infection and that therefore antibiotics wouldn't do any good in terms of making him better. They opted to try hooking him up to a nebulizer (think inhaler for toddlers), which contained a mask full of medicine that he needed to wear for 7 minutes so he would inhale the medicine. HA! Obviously, they don't realize what that means for a 14 month old and his mom. He HATED it and I swear those 7 minutes were the longest minutes of my life. However, the nebulizer was doing it's job and the second time they listened his lungs sounded more clear so they sent us home with our new toy! FUN!!We have been using it every day and he has gotten much better about letting us administer the medicine (with the help of Grandma and Grandpa who are in town visiting - they do a great job of keeping him occupied). He still has a nasty cough accompanied with a fever and a lot of drainage, but hopefully, after the weekend, he will be back to his normal self. The doctor did ask about whether or not asthma runs in the family, which it doesn't. She said that the wheezing could be an early indication and that we would need to keep a close eye on him in the future. Kind of scary, but I have a good feeling that he will remain asthma free!
Friday, February 6, 2009
Nebulizer
Posted by Jori at 2/06/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
omg poor baby!! He looks so miserable in that first pic. Give him a big hug and kiss for me and I will pray he gets to feeling better soon! Miss you all!!
Poor little munchkin. Glad he's getting better though and I'm glad you had the extra help to keep him happy.
Oh, that first picture just breaks your heart. I hope he is doing better!
Poor guy! I'm glad it's doing the trick, but sad it has to be so unpleasant. I hope he gets better fast!
oh no I didn't know the poor little guy was having to wear this. I hope he is feeling better now. Don't you wish he understood that this is for his own good and that he will feel better because of it.... ahhh Motherhood I tell you.
Poor little guy. I hate when their sick. :(
Post a Comment