Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nemo - the Betta

I have wanted to buy a fish for Cael for as long as I can remember and his upcoming birthday seemed like the perfect opportunity. Going into it I knew that I would be the primary caregiver for said fish and that in all likelihood, the fish would be more mine than his, but that didn't stop me. I had betta's when I was younger so I knew there were not going to be any goldfish in Cael's bowl. I attempted to get Cael really hyped up about his new pet fish, but after the initial novelty wore off he couldn't have cared less (didn't stop me). We made a trip to Petsmart where we proceeded to pick out our new pet, a bowl, some rocks, food and back home we went - at this point I guess it is fair to say that Cael was more interested in the dogs available for adoption, ALL the other fish, the guinea pigs, the dog toys than he was his new fish, but again, that didn't stop me. Cael had an opinion on certain matters - he wanted a blue fish, dark blue and turquoise rocks and he wanted the fish's name to be Nemo.

Within a couple days of having Nemo it became apparent that he was not doing well so my mom, Barb and I headed off to Petsmart again so I could pick up more supplies (this fish was NOT going to die on my watch). I also made the executive decision to switch out some of the rocks - I removed the dark blue ones and replaced them with gold and clear - so that Nemo is a little easier to see. He is now thriving and I am pretty sure Cael doesn't even remember that he even owns a fish, much less that his name is Nemo ;) 

0 comments: